Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Tomato, Spinach and Feta Frittata

Here it is, my friends: a greek salad frittata, full of delicious things like tomatoes, feta, and herbs. I'm quite a fan of frittatas, partly because they're so easy, and partly because they're so versatile. It's an excellent way to make eggs for a crowd without having to deal with individual eggs or (worse) individual omelets.


My frittata was also incredibly forgiving. For instance: I was forced by the supermarket to buy an entire bag of shallots (I needed one for another recipe), so instead of also buying a red onion, Daniel chopped up some surplus shallots and tossed them in. Delicious. And, when I realized an extra friend was showing up for brunch, I tossed in a few more eggs, chopped up a few more tomatoes and snipped a few more herbs, and the whole thing came out beautifully.




Tomato, Spinach and Feta Frittata
Serves 8


1 bag baby spinach*
1 small red onion or four shallots
1 tsp olive oil
12 eggs
1/2 c cream or whole milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved or quartered depending on the size
4 oz feta (or feta crumbles, if you're poor like me)
1 tbsp snipped fresh chives
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary**
2 tbsp butter

1. Bring a large pot half full of water to a boil. Add spinach and poke it with tongs until all of the spinach has been underwater, about 10 seconds. Dump the spinach into a colander or fine mesh strainer and press gently to squeeze out all the excess moisture. Transfer the spinach to a cutting board and coarsely chop.
2. Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion or shallots and saute until translucent, about four minutes.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the cream or milk and beat until blended. Add the salt, pepper, spinach, onions, tomatoes, feta, and herbs, and mix gently to combine.
3. Melt butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the butter foams, pour in the egg mixture. After about 2 minutes, lift up the cooked egg at the edges with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula and let some uncooked egg ooze in behind it. After another two minutes, do the same thing with the center of the frittata.
4. Cover the skillet with a lid (I don't have a lid for the 12-inch skillet, so I used tin foil. It sort of worked...) and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes, or until the center is set.
5. If your frittata, like my frittata, isn't completely set in the middle by the time the edges are nice and brown (is it because you, like me, don't have a lid for your 12-inch skillet?), you can stick it under the broiler for a minute or two, just until the center sets. (Did I realize I could do this at the time? Of course not!)
6. Run a spatula around the edges of the skillet. Carefully flip the frittata onto a platter (or, in my case, a cookie sheet), cut into wedges, and serve.

Adapted from BRUNCH! by Gale Gand

*You could definitely use thawed frozen spinach instead of blanching and chopping your own, but as it takes literally 10 seconds to do, I always use fresh spinach.
**Oregano would work really well in this frittata, but I was using oregano in another dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment